Transitional Kindergarten is offered at our Fort Mill location for children whose birthdays fall after the school districts date for kindergarten enrollment.
We here at Smart Kids’ understand that the move into formal schooling is a huge event for children and families. The partnership between school and families is really important during this time. As school readiness is a key component of Transitional Kindergarten, the teacher will create the environment for appropriate growth and learning. The teacher will also empower you to share in continued growth after your child has left the classroom.
In Transitional Kindergarten, many developmental milestones will be reflected through the classroom curriculum. Experiences and activities described within the teacher’s lesson plan will be explored to make learning exciting.
In Transitional Kindergarten, Smart Kids’ and the High Reach Learning Curriculum, will focus on very important Classroom Collaboration:
- Empowering parents to continue the learning experience in the home environment
- Discussing developmental milestones that are reflected through the class curriculum
- Taking time to explain why certain activities in the lesson plan exist and the benefit of these activities
- Teachers embracing the learning moment and journey with the children through a myriad of topics to help them enjoy the process of learning
- Teachers entering into the process of learning with the children
- Teachers engaging children and being excited when they have a shared interest
- Peer to peer learning creates an environment where self esteem and confidence can flourish
- Understanding that children create and grow while learning from one another
- Understanding children have the ability to create networks and interact socially in complex ways
- Children’s sense of community is supported in the classroom
- Nurturing children’s abilities to form strong bonds in the classroom with the development of kinship and belonging
Observation is essential to the growth and development of your child. Teacher observations of your child will occur inside, and outside of the classroom, will be formal and informal, and will occur daily, weekly, and throughout the year. We will be looking at what your children know and can do. The observations, interactions, and time spent listening and reflecting, will give us all information we need to know to support the development of your child.
Our families are welcome to share in the Transitional Kindergarten program by:
Viewing the displays of children’s work
Reading the current lesson plans
Examining the curriculum
Viewing photos of children at work
Checking your family mailbox
Visiting the classroom
Sharing in field trips, activities, and experiences
Sharing information with your child
Sharing information with the transitional kindergarten teachers through conferences or everyday discussion